Educate yourself with information about GE Trees (also called GM Trees)
We’ve compiled an international list of resources, starting with our steering committee’s organizations. While not complete and always growing, this is a great place to start learning about GE trees and the related issues of tree plantations and biofuels. (GE trees are also known as GMO trees, transgenic trees, genetically modified trees or GM trees.)
Global Justice Ecology Project (GJEP) resources on GE trees (GMO trees)
- Monoculture Tree Plantations Resources (2017)
- The GE Eucalyptus Fact Sheet – Updated, Aug. 2017
- Our 2015 Fact Sheets on GE Loblolly, Eucalyptus, Poplar, and Chestnut Trees
- 2012 Report, Genetically Engineered Trees and Bioenergy: A Growing Threat to Forests and Communities
- Global Justice Ecology Project and Global Forest Coalition’s 2008 report, GE Trees, Cellulosic Biofuels, Destruction of Forest Biological Diversity
- Genetically Engineered Trees: No Solution to Global Warming: UN COP-8 Briefing No. 2
- GE Trees and Global Warming: The Myth of Carbon Offset Forestry Originally posted by STOP GE Trees Campaign Page.
World Rainforest Movement resources on tree plantations, GE trees and biofuels
- General section on tree plantations
- 2012 Report on tree plantations, An overview of industrial tree plantations in the global South: conflicts, trends, and resistance struggles
- General section on GE Trees
- 2014 report, GE Trees Research: A Country by Country Overview
- 2007 report,
- Transgenic Trees2008 report on biofuels, Ethanol from cellulose: A technology that could spell disaster
- List of resources and reports
- November 2015 report, Last Ditch Climate Option or Wishful Thinking? Bioenergy With Carbon Capture and Storage
- December 2020 report, Negative Emission Technologies: Can They Deliver?
EcoNexus resources on the science of GE trees (GMO trees)
- Steinbrecher, Ricarda and Lorch, Antje. Genetically Engineered Trees & Risk Assessment (2008). Published by the Federation of German Scientists. Presented at CBD COP9 negotiations on GE trees.
- Other publications on the EcoNexus website
Global Forest Coalition
Canadian Biotechnology Action Network (CBAN)
- GM Contamination in Canada: The failure to contain living modified organisms – Incidents and impacts
- Genome Editing in Food and Farming: Risks and Unexpected Consequences
Center for Food Safety resources on GE trees (GMO trees)
- General section on GE Trees
- 2013 Report, Genetically Engineered Trees: The New Frontier of Biotechnology
Additional Resources on GE Trees:
Additional Resources on Biofuels:
- Biomass Basics from Biofuelwatch, 2018
- Feb 9, 2015 Letter to US EPA from scientists on the dangers of wood-based electricity
- CARBON BRIEF – Report: Subsidize Should End for Many Types of Biomass
Resources From the Blog
Dr. Rachel Smolker debates risks of deregulating GE American chestnut trees on NPR’s On Point Program
How GMOs Might Save The American Chestnut Tree This program aired 29 April 2019 and was hosted Meghna Chakrabarti. The program is heavily tipped in favor of the two men who speak in favor of using genetically engineering to make American chestnut trees blight...
Note: The assertion that the American chestnut could be restored using GE technologies is not at all certain. Tests have only been run for 12 or so years, while AC trees can live for over 200 years. How the engineered trait will behave in the future under various...
Biotechnology for Forest Health: The Test Case of the Genetically Engineered American Chestnut Executive Summary The American chestnut, once a dominant species in eastern North American forests, was decimated in the first half of the 20th century by a fungal blight...
Earth Minute 4/17/19, Sojourner Truth show, KPFK Pacifica Radio, Los Angeles Anne Petermann, Executive Director of Global Justice Ecology Project, discusses the decision by two Board members of the American Chestnut Foundation to resign due to the the foundation's...
Analysis of the 2015 survey: FOREST HEALTH BIOTECHNOLOGIES: WHAT ARE THE DRIVERS OF PUBLIC ACCEPTANCE Prepared By Adam Koranyi, CUNY Distinguished Professor Emeritus, 10/3/2018 Note: The following is an analysis of the results from a 2015 survey...
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE MARCH 28, 2019 Regional Board members of The American Chestnut Foundation Resign In Protest Against Genetically Engineered American Chestnut Trees (Full resignation letter can be found below) Contact: Steve Taylor...
New Report: “Real” vs. “Fake” Forests: Why Tree Plantations Are Not Forests Loblolly Pine Plantation, South Carolina, USA. Photo: Petermann In the attached report “Real” vs. “Fake” Forests: Why Tree Plantations Are Not Forest," Dominick A DellaSala discusses in...
Researchers Want to Release Unproven GE American Chestnut Trees in Wild Forests January 30, 2019 For Immediate Release New York–In its report, Forest Health and Biotechnology ; Possibilities and Considerations the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and...
NAS Warns US Regulations Unprepared for GE Trees Four members of the Campaign to STOP GE Trees) testified before the NAS about the social and ecological dangers of releasing GE trees into wild forests in 2018. From Nature: Transgenic trees face rocky path from farm to...
Global Justice Ecology Project’s Anne Petermann, Rachel Smolker and Ruddy Turnstone (as Rachel Kijewski) authored an op-ed published by The Hill on 28 March on the topic of genetically engineered trees. The authors were also presenters on 27 March for a National...
GE Trees and Global Warming: The Myth of Carbon Offset Forestry Originally posted by STOP GE Trees Campaign Page. lso posted by NWRage.org in early 2000s by Anne Petermann, Global Justice Ecology Project The late-March, 2001 announcement by the Bush...
Photos and commentary by Anne Petermann, Executive Director, Global Justice Ecology Project (Exception: the last two photos are by GJEP Co-Director/Strategist Orin Langelle) In June 2011 the Tree Biotechnology Conference hosted by the International Union of Forest...
Vídeo: Entrevista destacada Ivonete Gonçalves: Comunidades de Chile y Brasil Resisten a los Impactos Devastadores del Modelo Forestal
(Entrevista en portugués con subtítulos en español) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7APGnEtR0Y Source: No a la IUFRO en Concepción Entrevista destacada: Ivonete Gonçalves En 1974 se creó el decreto de ley 701 Con ello se han plantado más de 3 millones de hectáreas de...
Video: Orin Langelle speaks out against GE trees in Chile (Entrevista destacada Orin Langelle: contra los árboles Transgénicos en Chile)
English Interview with Spanish subtitles (Entrevista en inglés subtítulos en español) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHWFIfH29D8&t=26s Source: No a la IUFRO en Concepción Entrevista destacada Orin Langelle En 1974 se creó el decreto de ley 701 Con ello se han...
Video: Ruddy Turnstone: “Alert on the Impact of the Chilean Forest Model (Entrevista en destaque Ruddy Turnstone: Alto a los Árboles Transgénicos” Alerta Sobre el Impacto del Modelo Forestal Chileno)
English Interview with Spanish Subtitles (Entrevista en inglés, subtítulos en español) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZEikX1qFvs&t=1s Source: No a la IUFRO en Concepción Entrevista destacada Ruddy Turnstone En 1974 se creó el decreto de ley 701 Con ello se han...
Vídeo: A Fortalecer la Resistencia a los Impactos del Negocio Forestal – Entrevista con Alfredo Seguel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_dADRV1U6A&feature=youtu.be Alfredo Seguel Es el coordinador de Red de Defense de los Territorios Araucanía, Mapu (Chile) En 1974 se creó el decreto de ley 701 Con ello se han plantado más de 3 millones de hectáreas de pino y...
The Vitoria Statement in Support of the Struggles of Local Peoples Against Large-Scale Tree Plantations
The following statement was issued on 24 November 2005 in Vitoria, Espirito Santo, Brazil at an international meeting on building support for local communities against large-scale tree plantations and GMO trees. This meeting was co-sponsored by World Rainforest...
A Resounding NO to GE Trees Declaración de Asunción Rechazo a todos los Árboles Genéticamente: Un NO Rotundo a los Árboles GM (PDF) Declaração de Asunción rejeita todas as árvores geneticamente modificadas: Um esmagador NÃO às árvores transgênicas (PDF) We,...